When comparing dental implants to dentures, implants have several advantages over conventional dentures or bridges. Dental implants are a revolutionary tooth replacement option that can last a lifetime with proper care.
During dental implant placement, your dentist implants a titanium rod into the gums, and this rod bonds with the jawbone in place of the missing tooth root. The rod of the implant receives a dental crown, implant-supported dentures, or implant supported bridge to replace your missing teeth. By replacing the tooth root, dental implants prevent the bone deterioration that can occur with traditional dentures or bridges and lead to health issues and compromised facial features. Dentures and bridges may require replacement after a period time, whereas dental implants generally do not.
Benefits of dental implants
Dental implants offer various benefits, including a restored smile, which has a positive impact on your self-esteem and self-confidence. Implants have advantages over other tooth replacement options, including:
- Permanence – Dentures, bridges, and other restorative procedures can need additional restorations or replacements over time, but dental implants are a permanent solution that last a lifetime with proper care.
- Natural appearance and functions – The titanium rods used in dental implants are compatible with your body so they fuse with the jawbone as a natural tooth root would. The rods fit snug in the gums, which helps secure the natural-looking crown, bridge or dentures supported by the dental implants and enables normal speaking, biting, and chewing.
- Durability – Dental implants prevent the recession of the bone and gums that can occur with other tooth replacement options. With the strong, durable support of the dental implant anchored in your jawbone, you can enjoy normal eating and speaking without worry of dentures slipping or bridges suffering damage.
- Minimal maintenance – Caring for your dental implants is as easy as caring for natural teeth. With normal oral hygiene including brushing, flossing and exams, dental implants last a lifetime with minimal maintenance.
- Highly effective and multi-purpose – For patients in good health with sufficient gums, bone structure to support dental implants, they’re highly effective and successful. Dental implants can replace a single tooth, a row of teeth or an entire mouth of teeth and can serve as durable support for dentures or bridges.
Investing in dental implants
Dental implants have a success rate of 95-98% when patients practice proper maintenance and care. Proper oral hygiene, including daily flossing, brushing and regular dental visits are essential for dental implant success as is quitting any tobacco use. Dental implants present a higher initial investment than other tooth replacement procedures, but their benefits over dentures and bridges including longevity, lower maintenance and a smile you’re proud of, making the financial expense well worth it.
If you’re tired of dealing with uncomfortable or ill-fitting dentures or a bridge and need a way to replace one or several missing teeth to restore your confident smile, contact Dupont Dental and inquire about our restorative dental services.