Considering whitening your teeth? From pastes to strips to at-home trays, there are many options available to you. If you’re looking for a convenient, effective method, consider the Opalescence at-home whitening system.
Why You May Want Teeth Whitening
Not all types of tooth stains can be removed. For instance, if your tooth is discolored because the nerve has died, whitening won’t change the color of your tooth. However, extrinsic stains can be removed with whitening treatments. Extrinsic stains are stains that affect the outer layer of your enamel. These types of stains are often caused by:
- Food: Curry, white and red wine, coffee, tea, and tomato sauce
Not sure which type of stain you have? Your dentist will be able to determine if professional tooth whitening treatments are right for you.
Benefits of Professional Versus Over-the-Counter Whitening Treatments
Once you’ve determined that your stains are extrinsic and will, therefore respond to whitening treatments, it’s time to decide: OTC or professional whitening treatments. Over-the-counter options (which include pastes, gels, strips, and general once-size-fits-all trays) are tempting; one quick stop to the drugstore and you’re set.
However, there are a few benefits to opting for professional treatments like the Opalescence at-home treatments. The top benefits include:
- More efficient: Professional whitening agents are stronger than OTC whitening agents. This means that each treatment with a professional whitening agent will be more powerful and provide more dramatic results in less time.
- More effective: Why opt for a professional tray when you can get a tray at the store? The Opalescence trays are custom-made, which means they will fit against your teeth perfectly. This also means that the whitening agent is applied more thoroughly to your teeth. This results in uniform whitening.
- Convenient: With OTC trays, you have to prep the tray, wait for the time to elapse, then remove the tray. During that time, you cannot eat or talk so it can be a hassle if you have family members trying to converse with you. With Opalescence at-home whitening system, you wear your trays to bed. You don’t have to miss out on precious evening time without the ability to talk. Your trays will whiten your teeth while you sleep.
How to Maintain Your Results
Once your teeth are brightened, you can maintain your brilliant results with a few easy care tips:
- Avoid foods that stain: If you do indulge in foods like curry or tea, be sure to rinse your mouth with water after eating the stain-inducing food.
- Eat foods that clean your teeth: Crunchy raw produce (like celery or apples) can help keep your teeth white by literally scraping away any plaque from your teeth.
- Continue to follow a solid oral care routine: Brush twice a day, floss daily, and rinse your mouth with an ADA-approved mouthwash.
- Continue to see your dentist regularly for routine cleanings and exams.
Ready to Transform Your Smile?
To learn more about Opalescence teeth whitening treatments or to schedule an appointment, contact us today!